Since past two years, the pollution level is breaking records and has resulted in making India one of the top polluted nations in the world. Finally considering the fact Supreme Court recently permitted only green crackers this Diwali to moderate the pollution level. There are restrictions on stocking and selling other crackers which are forbidden by the police. Whereas, the police is still confused and finding it hard to differentiate between both the categories of crackers.
“Green Cracker” are the low polluting firecrackers, within permitted decibel limits and emission norms that do not contain barium salts, lithium, arsenic, antimony, led and mercury. These crackers are approved by the Petroleum and Explosive Safety Organisation (PESO) and can be stocked or sold.
The SC also imposed timing limitations on burning firecrackers on Diwali. The court said people will be allowed to burn crackers between 8 pm and 10 pm on Diwali. Also, on New Year and Christmas, the timing is from 11.45 pm to 12.15 am.
Police have banned bursting crackers within 100m of schools, hospitals, and silent zones. To implement the timing barrier regulation (8 pm to 10 pm) they’re planning to form mobile squads to patrol colonies to monitor violations.
However, cops admitted that it is quite challenging to spot violators bursting forbidden crackers and, sustain door-to-doo observance.
SUPREME COURT VERDICT ON FIRECRACKERS
- Firecrackers with reduced emission would only be permitted to be manufactured.
- The sale will happen through license holders.
- No e-commerce portals can sell crackers and if they sell them they will be hauled up for contempt.
- Extensive public awareness to be undertaken by the government.
- Station house officers of the police station concerned will be held liable if banned firecrackers are sold in their area.
- Only low polluting green crackers which are within permitted decibel limits and emission norms will be allowed.